Protecting Child Safety at All Levels of Society
Currently Browsing: Community

Amy’s child-protection advocate origin story

I’ve been thinking about my child-protection advocate “origin story” lately. You know superhero origin stories, like Peter Parker being bitten by a radioactive spider to become Spider Man, or Superman escaping the dying planet Krypton to crash-land on his adopted home, Earth. My co-author, Kidpower Founder Irene van der Zande, has a really simple “origin story” about why she started Kidpower. In a nutshell: one day more than 25 years ago, Irene was a guiding a... Read more

Kidpower Child Protection Advocates Institute comes to North Carolina, October 5-7, 2015

This fall we are excited to bring a significant Kidpower training to North Carolina. Kidpower Founder and Executive Director Irene van der Zande will be leading the Kidpower Child Protection Advocates Institute in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, from October 5-7. I will be helping to facilitate along with my Kidpower North Carolina Center Co-director Maryjane Hayes, but I have to say that this is a very special opportunity to train directly with Irene, learning how to apply her... Read more

Cultural Competence in Teaching Personal Safety

Staying culturally appropriate while teaching personal safety and child protection is both challenging and rewarding. The following article is an excerpt from our Child Protection Advocate Training Workbook and has been useful to people teaching personal safety skills from Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France, Guatemala, India, Mexico, Nepal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Singapore, Sweden, the UK, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe – as well as throughout the United States. In every culture where... Read more

Creating a Positive Social Climate, starting with the Kidpower Climate Check-In

Our physical and social climates impact our quality of life. As individual people, we cannot control the weather outside, but we can decide what kinds of protection we use to be safer and more comfortable. We can’t control physical pollution as individuals, but we can each decide what levels and forms of pollution we are willing to tolerate or produce. As leaders responsible for the well-being of others, particularly young people, we have significant power to affect the social climate. ... Read more

Launching new resources in honor of Child Abuse Prevention Month

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month and we are using this occasion to share new resources with our Doing Right by Our Kids readers. We are relaunching our Doing Right by Our Kids newsletter by sharing the Kidpower 30-skill challenge with our subscribers. So when you sign up to receive to our newsletter, you’ll receive one Kidpower safety skill per week, plus other important safety information (but never more than two emails a week from us). Throughout April and beyond we will... Read more

« Previous Entries Next Entries »